By Renee Fouquet, Founder/CEO of CLEAN.FIT box
After a couple weeks of sheltering in place, you might be starting to get a little antsy and worrying about your mental and physical health. Being at home doesn’t have to mean giving up on your healthy eating and exercise routine, though! It just means you need to be a little more creative and intentional.
The good news? You should have a bit more time on your hands these days – all the better to whip up a yummy meal or get your sweat on with a workout!
Need some inspo? We got you!
Here are a couple of our favorite ways to stay active in the comfort of your own home.
- Do a HIIT workout
- Our all-time fave is this 7-minute workout that really works – we promise!
- Find an online workout
- Peloton is offering a free 90-day trial, with tons of great bodyweight strength and bootcamp workouts – plus awesome instructors and killer jams!
- Black Swan Yoga is offering $2/month unlimited access to their online yoga classes with code BSYAUSTIN
- Heat Bootcamp is offering free LIVE (and recorded) bootcamp classes on their website
- Get an exercise band to do strength training at home – we love LA Resistance Bands (use code GETWELLNESS40 at checkout for 40% off) or you can get one on Amazon as well!
- Set a calendar reminder to move your body every hour, on the hour, for at least 3 minutes
- You can go up and down the stairs, do jumping jacks, squats, push-ups – you name it, just get your blood pumping
- Challenge friends to a virtual workout!
- Have everyone join a Zoom or Google Hangout, and screenshare a workout video that everyone can do together
- Work standing up
- It is better for your posture, blood flow, and energy levels. No standing desk? No problem! Get creative: use a box, stack books, etc!
Don’t forget about that healthy eating either! Here are our best tips for eating healthy under quarantine.
- Create a solid grocery game plan before hitting the store
- A basic grocery list should include items from the major food groups and macronutrients. Also, be sure that you have various baking and pantry essentials (and of course, snacks!).
- Plan out meals in advance
- This is a good idea just in general, but especially when you need to consider not getting to the grocery store regularly!
- Here are a few of our favorite recipes:
- → Breakfast: Grain-free blueberry muffins. PRO TIP: add 1 cup of protein powder (and an extra 3 tbsp of nut milk) to make them protein packed!
- → Lunch: Sardine toasts with tomato and sweet onion – you could also use tuna instead of sardines
- → Dinner: Garlic spinach pasta with chickpeas – use frozen spinach if you don’t have fresh
- #MealPrep like a boss
- Prepare large batches of your favorite foods, as well as freezer-friendly faves like chili, pasta sauce, meatballs that store well.
Want our ULTIMATE guide to healthy eating under quarantine? Head over to the blog to read more!
Now, we can’t forget the staying sane part, can we?! Here are some of our favorite ways to take care of our mental health.
- Stay in touch with friends – new and old
- Human connection is more important now than ever. Thankfully with FaceTime, Zoom, and Skype we can stay connected virtually. Try hosting virtual happy hours or coffee dates, and invite your friends, no matter where they are!
- Cross off things that have been on your to-do list forever
- For example: thank you notes, a pantry re-org, closet clean out, putting together that IKEA bookshelf that’s been sitting there for ages, writing your autobiography.
- Take time for self-care
- You should have a bit of extra time on your hands these days, so savor that time for yourself! Try a morning meditation, read a book in the evening, or practice gratitude journaling at lunch.
- Laughter really is the best medicine. Be on the lookout for funny memes and share them in group texts with friends. Watch funny stand-up comedy on Netflix. Go look through old pictures that will bring a smile to your face.